Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A Label Tutorial

I don't know that I have ever done a bona fide tutorial, but that's what you are getting today. I spent my entire professional life teaching, so I guess this should not come as a surprise.

It's a well-known fact that I am a Pinterest junkie. I recently saw a really easy method for labeling quilts. (This is the pin that inspired me.) I think I am not alone when I say that I know I should label my creations, but rarely do I actually do it. Any methods I've seen have required more effort that I am willing to expend.

So for me to actually label the last 2 quilts I've finished is a really big deal. And I thought perhaps you'd like to see how easy it is. If you click here you can see the link to the idea that I saw on Pinterest. I am doing mine just a little bit differently, but the result is the same.

 The process is simple and probably doesn't really need explaining beyond these pictures. First take a length of freezer paper and a length of muslin fabric. Iron the shiny side of the freezer paper to the fabric, and cut to size - I have used a 3" square. In step 4, with the paper still on, fold the fabric on the diagonal. This is the space where you will write your label.
I am doing a rather sloppy label for demonstration purposes. I need to get a finer point pigma pen. Be sure to leave enough edge to sew into your quilt. Remove the paper after writing; press for a crisp fold. In step 7, place the raw edges of the label on the corner before attaching binding. I pinned mine in 2 or 3 places. In step 8 you can see the finished label that I put on the baby quilt from yesterday.

Easy-peasy!

Now, you have no excuse not to label your quilts from here on out. I am going to make the effort to do this on all my future quilts.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm late commenting (I'm working on the "better late than never" principle here) but that's brilliant, thanks Jayne. Until now I have very rarely labelled anything, but have started thinking I should, so this little tutorial is just perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!