Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day


Traditionally, summer kicks off in the US with Memorial Day Weekend. Most schools are out. Graduations have been happening. Pools are opening. Vacations are beginning.

Lots of people forget, though, that our Memorial Day is meant to honor fallen servicemen and women who sacrificed their lives for our freedoms. Many communities will be holding parades and ceremonies today to pay tribute for those who gave that ultimate sacrifice. Cemeteries  have been spruced up and flags have been erected on the graves of local fallen heroes.

Today is a great day for kicking off summer, but let's remember, too, to thank those who fought for our abundant freedoms.

In my little world, I am reading instead of sewing. The book club book is All the Things We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I am about halfway through it and am eager to get back to it.

It has gotten fantastic reviews, and I can't say that I could argue with any of them. These comments will offer a bit of a mid-way review, and I am not divulging any spoilers. I am engaged in the story, for sure. But at the same time, I am sad because I know that they are in the midst of war, on opposing sides, and their childhoods have been wracked by fear and horrific realities. I am hopeful that the ending will provide a satisfying resolution, and not leave me feeling sad and hopeless.

So until I get this book finished, I am not sewing. And I have so much I could be working on, too. Ah, well . . .

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!