Wednesday, March 30, 2016

About That Cutting Frenzy...

The last post I wrote before the week-long hiatus, was about this fabulous cutting frenzy I was in. I'd cut out 16 blocks to make a scrappy star quilt to be prepared for our upcoming sew-along at the Canter's Cave retreat. Have a click-back to read about it. I was so pleased with the variety of all my blocks and the clever way in which I organized them in that flat box.

When I went to quilting on Friday morning to meet the Frankfort girls, I learned that 'Best of All' was not the quilt we were doing together for the sew-along. Geesh. I'd cut out the wrong quilt.

That's what I get for feeling proud of myself. (Pride goeth before the fall?) When I thought I was getting ahead in cutting, I was actually devoting valuable time to a quilt that we aren't making. Oh, goodness.

The quilt we are making, I was informed, is a Kim Diehl quilt called 'All In A Row.' It is a wonderful churn dash quilt, using very similar scrappy fabrics as 'Best Of All.' Jan had given me the pattern, and I vaguely recalled where I'd put it - where I'd remember, of course. I dug it out yesterday. It will take a lot of time to cut out, so I'd best get started on it. I do want to make it, and I do think a sew-along with the girls will be fun.

The photo above, a bit fuzzy, was taken from the Martingale website where the pattern is available for download. (I hope they don't mind my using it. I will be making their pattern, so I hope it's okay to use the picture.) My print-off is also fuzzy, so I'd hoped to find a clearer image.

Why will it take me forever to cut out? The directions say to cut out each of the center 9-patches individually - as in 1.5" squares of all that variety of scrappiness - a time-consuming endeavor, for sure. 

This major cutting mistake was another of those "episodes" mentioned in yesterday's post which interfered with posting to the blog. It is a lot more fun to write about good stuff than it is to write about mistakes. And now you are beginning to see a fuller picture of the week. A setback like this tends to put me in "shut-down" mode. I just stop. No going back to the sewing room; no getting right back to work with the correct project. I couldn't think about it for a few days. And with Easter and the arrival of house guests and then that awful dogbite, I was stymied.

But it appears I've returned with new resolve. I have a couple more catching-up posts to write about, so I hope you will join me back here tomorrow!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


4 comments:

  1. Oh bother, is what I'm sure you said when you found out you'd cut the wrong quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a rough week. I do that 'shut down' thing too when I'm overwhelmed. Guess you will have to eventually make the star quilt --- or sell it as a kit? Didn't know about the dog bite - wow - gotta go back and catch up. I sprinkle you with borrowed fairy dust for a more charming week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy. On the good side, you'll have pieces ready to be assembled into a top for when you're in the mood for a quick project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exaxctly what you mean about it taking a while to get back to something after a set-back. Don't be too hard on yourself, really sounds like you have your hands full at present :-}

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!