Friday, March 18, 2016

Tuesday With Sharon

It had been ages since our schedules worked out for Sharon and I to resume our regular Tuesday sewing days, but we finally did it this week. So much to catch up on! It's a good thing we can sew and talk at the same time.

With the recent conclusion of PBS's Downton Abbey, Sharon had shopped online and found a 50%-off sale on all Downton Abbey fabric by Andover. Well, who could resist that? Here's what she was able to get; apparently it was selling fast.

She bought some yardage and a roll of 2.5-inch strips (Andover has a different name than jelly roll, which apparently is just a Moda thing). I love the way the different fabrics are named. I cannot recall very many of them, but I wrote down the ones Sharon has. The gray is called Dowager's Lace; the brown is called Mary's Ribbons.

The line that was cut into 2.5-inch strips is called the Downstairs Collection -  all very understated and very much like the shirtings that we all know from the 80s and 90s.

This particular strip with the silhouette of the mansion and the title of the show is not cut very well for any practical use. That is rather a disappointment, isn't it?

By the end of our day, Sharon had these blocks sewn together and displayed on the design wall. She sent a message yesterday saying that she had finished all 42 blocks that she planned. Can you say motivated? This will be such a wonderful quilt.

While Sharon worked on this, I finished the top of my niece's wedding quilt. Now I have ideas floating around in my head for a backing. I then spent the entire afternoon pulling fabrics and setting them aside for future quilts I am planning to make. Our Canter's Cave retreat is coming up in a few weeks, so the planning I am doing is with that in mind, somewhat.

Last night, I found myself with time to PLAY!!! I cut out some EPP shapes and prepped them for stitching. I will share those in my next post.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Sharon was a quilting machine wasnt she? love those blocks

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!